Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Tasty Tuesday


Tasty Tuesday is a feature on Poochieheaven's blog that will discuss tasty things for your dog.

What does your dog eat?

I am no where near an expert when it comes to food, but because of the line of work I am in, I get to read about dog nutrition a lot! When I got Duke over 5 years ago, I knew a little bit about dog food and I knew that feeding him Ol' Roy from Wal-Mart was not a good thing. I didn't know a lot, so I went into the local dog food store and picked out a brand that wasn't something I had heard of before (no Purina, Iams, Eukanuba, etc), assuming that because it was a little more expensive, it was better. I ended up choosing Canidae, which really wasn't that bad of a choice. As I got into Poochieheaven and learning more about dog nutrition- I switched brands a few times. One of the problems I had with Duke is the fact that he is an EXTREMELY picky eater. He really doesn't like food or treats.

As the years went by, I finally got him to like a variety of the Fromm foods and a variety of the EVO from Natura foods. During this time, I also learned more and more about the raw diet and was really interested in it, but do to space issues and freezer it just wasn't possible.

After hearing about the Natura buyout to Proctor and Gamble, I decided that I was going to make the leap to a raw diet. Since Duke eats a little over 2lbs of food a day, I knew that feeding a pre-packaged raw diet would get to be too expensive, so I looked into a prey model raw (basically make your own).

I currently feed him a prey model raw diet and am extremely happy with it.

I will discuss more about it as the posts come.

See picture of Duke eating a buffalo tongue.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails