Dogs and Peanut Butter
I love peanut butter (both for me to eat and for my dogs!). It has many uses I think when raising a dog.
How I use peanut butter:
1. I use it to either fill kongs or to top kongs off filled with kibble. I then freeze it and let the dogs enjoy. It takes them much longer to eat/lick frozen peanut butter and keeps them busier longer than if it was just regular peanut butter.
2. To give medicine. I will just coat the pill in peanut butter and give it to the dog. They don't know even know that the pill is in there. No more fighting with them to take their medicine!
3. After I have used almost all of the peanut butter out of a jar, I give the jar to Duke and let him try to get it out for a while. Keeps him busy and cleans out the jar.
Another place that you can add peanut butter is to marrow bones or any other of the interactive dog toys out there to make them work and keep them busy!
Peanut butter can also be added to many treat recipes for those that have interest in baking their treats at home.
Things to note:
1. The peanut butter may make them thirsty, so make sure water is easily available.
2. If your dog is on a diet, keep the peanut butter to a minimum due to the calories. It is also high in protein and fat (but the good kind).
Finally, it is best to go with an all natural, organic peanut butter- especially if your dog gets lot of it.